April is National Donate Life Month (NDLM) which is a celebration commemorating those who have given the gift of life through organ, eye, and tissue donation! Instituted by Donate Life America and its partnering organizations in 2003, NDLM is celebrated each year in April. Celebrations include local, regional, and national activities to help encourage Americans to register as donors and honor those that have saved lives through the gift of donation!
Would you be shocked to find out an average of 18 people die every day due to the shortage of available organ donors? In total, there are more than 120,000 Americans awaiting their organ transplants, while millions of people die each year without signing up as organ and tissue donors. Sadly, an additional person shows up on the organ transplant list every 10 minutes.
A single organ donor has the potential to save up to 8 lives.
Read below to learn what you can do to honor National Donate Life Month:
- Do your research to understand organ, eye, and tissue donation by clicking here.
- Become a partner: Our corporate partnership program is an avenue for the business community to get involved in saving and healing lives. Find out more information here.
- Become a Donor here. People of all ages and medical histories should consider themselves potential donors. Your medical condition at the time of death will determine what organs and tissue can be donated.
- Become a Living Donor: Living donation offers another choice for transplant candidates, and it saves two lives: the recipient and the next one on the deceased organ waiting list. Even better, kidney and liver patients who are able to receive a living donor transplant can receive the best quality organ much sooner, often in less than a year. For more information on becoming a living donor, visit here.
- Promote National Donate Life Month by passing out informational handouts on donation and transplantation statistics along with FAQs.
- Submit a print ad to community newsletters or place in common areas of the workplace.
- Print your own pinwheel artwork. Customize the center with your own special message. For example, “________ supports organ, eye and tissue donation; ________ is a registered donor; In memory of __________; In honor of __________.”
- Share web and social media graphics online with your community through your digital media accounts.
- Wear “Donate Life” apparel and clothes pins.
Purchase Donate Life Merchandise here: http://www.donationmerchandise.com